The Solent Forum

Working in partnership for the future

Local Authority Advice and Permission

Crabby litter Campaign
New Forest DC's Crabby Litter Campaign

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 imposes duties on certain landowners and occupiers to keep specified land clear of litter and refuse, and on local authorities and the Secretary of State to keep clean public highways for which they are responsible. Defra has produced a code of practice which explains the practicalities of these duties.

Local authorities play a key role in clearing litter and rubbish, collecting waste, emptying bins and providing waste disposal and recycling facilities. They also have enforcement powers to fine litterers and fly-tippers, and to check that businesses have appropriate arrangements for disposing of waste. Please remember local authorities can only collect litter that has been picked from Council land or Hampshire County Council adopted highway.  They may be able to provide you with litter picking equipment or advise as to where you can get this from, for example, the New Forest National Park Authority have free litter picking kits as part of their New Forest Ambassador Scheme. Each kit includes a litter picking guide, rubbish sacks, a hi-vis vest and a litter grabber. Any hazardous litter should be left in place and the Council advised as to its location. You will also need to provide details of where you will be litter picking so they can check landownership details. If the land is not Council owned you will need to inform the landowner and get their permission.

The Local authorities relevant to the SPP hub are:

Back to home