Welcome to the Solent Forum
Since 1992, the Solent Forum has provided a platform to deliver Integrated Coastal Zone Management in the Solent sub-region of the South East. It operates at a strategic coastal management level, providing a network for closer working relationships, information dissemination and discussion of topical coastal issues.
This website contains information on the nature and work of the Solent Forum. From it you can find details of the Forum's members, learn about the Forum's current work and view news and events from around the Solent and the UK. You can also download our bi-annual newsletter. Our Directories provide useful information on who's who around the Solent and sources of information on coastal matters.
For more information on how to become a member, please request an application form.
Please visit the Forum's sister site, Solentpedia, for information on the Solent, its people, economy and environment.
Latest News from the Forum
- The Solent Forum helped the Marine Management Organisation (MMO) to facilitate its 'Vision and Objectives' workshop that took place on 16th July In Southampton. This is the next phase in the development of a marine plan for the South coast inshore and offshore areas.
- The Solent Forum will next meet in Portsmouth on 17th September in QHM's wardroom. After the meeting lunch will be provided and members are invited to stay afterwards to participate in a workshop on the proposed tranche two Marine Conservation Zones around the Solent. Non-members wishing to attend the workshop should contact the Solent Forum Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A Solent Forum Officer and the Forum's placement student attended the inaugural Blue Marine Foundation meeting, held in Bursledon on the Hamble on 16th June. The Solent Forum hopes to help facilitate future meetings on the sustainable use of fishing and aquaculture in the Solent.
- A Solent Forum Officer attended the Hamble Estuary Partnership meeting on 17th June.
- The Solent Forum Steering Group meeting was held in Winchester on 25th June, chaired by Jackie Mellan, acting chair.
- The Solent Forum Manager, Karen McHugh, will be taking extended leave for six months, and Kate Ansell will manage the Solent Forum in her absence. Karen will return in January 2015.
- On the 1st July, a Solent Forum Officer, attended an Environment Agency project to scope out a new project called Seaview 2027. Seaview is an important new project running alongside the four Catchment Partnerships in the Solent delivering the Water Framework Objectives for the main catchments draining to the Solent (Test and Itchen, Isle of Wight, New Forest and East Solent). This project will involve understanding the impact of these catchments on the Solent and will aim to establish the vision and actions required to improve quality in the Solent's coastal and marine environment.
- A Solent Forum Officer attended the Test and Itchen Catchment Partnership workshop on 7th July in Testwood Lake.