Natural Environment Group
The Natural Environment Group (NEG) was set up in 2004 to progress the strategic actions from the Solent Marine Sites (SEMS) management scheme. It is a subsidiary group of the overall SEMS Management Group and reports to that group, it meets biannually in spring and autumn. Natural England Chair the group and the Solent Forum office provides the secretariat.
- Provide a cost-effective mechanism to coordinate the implementation of cross-cutting nature conservation actions by facilitating networking and communication.
- Assist the SEMS MG in their implementation of the SEMS Management Scheme and to initiate and manage further research.
- To support the SEMS MG by taking action on issues identified by Relevant Authorities (RA) as potentially causing damage to the SEMS, collecting data to fill gaps in knowledge and understanding, and developing a scientific evidence base for the Solent
- To coordinate nature conservation actions with the highest priority given to designated sites in the Solent
- To make better use of our existing knowledge and improve our impartial understanding
- To identify gaps in baseline data and prioritise research and management and monitoring requirements that improve our coastal environment
- To enable activities to continue sustainably for example by identifying and implementing projects that demonstrate adaptive management
- To coordinate local community action focusing on environmental enhancement of the coastal zone
- To maintain a Project Tracker of all nature conservation projects in the Solent
- To promote the nature conservation value of the Solent