Solent Forum Student Bursary
One of the aims of the Solent Forum is to further our understanding of the natural and human environment of the Solent. To assist this aim the Forum has a bursary scheme where funding is available to help support dissertation projects undertaken by both undergraduate and graduate students.
Submissions for 2013 are now closed but you can still download the Bursary Flyer for 2013.
Awards for 2013
The following students have been awarded funding for 2013.
- Lesley Chapman-Greig - University of Portsmouth - Sacrificial anodes and antifouling: Impact on bioavailable copper and zinc contamination in oxic, suboxic and anoxic harbour sediments.
- Thomas Foster – University of Portsmouth -'Establishing attitudes and perceptions towards Marine Conservation Zones: A case study into recreational boating within the Solent.
- Louise Ward - University of Southampton - Bio- monitoring assessment of heavy metal pollution in Southampton Water using seaweed as a bio-indicator species.
- James Dawe - University of Southampton - An assessment of the temporal variation of heavy metal pollutants in Southampton Water using Mytilus edulis as a bio indicator.
- Ben Lawn - University of Southampton - Mapping the distribution of the Manila clam (an alien bivalve) in Southampton Water.
All students, irrespective of institution, may apply for a bursary as long as they meet the application form criteria. The geographical area covered by the dissertation must coincide, either totally or partially, with the Solent Forum study boundary. The project must also be on a coastal topic or theme.
The fund will help meet essential travel and research expenses. There will be a limit of £200 per project. It is likely that successful projects will also receive advice and support from relevant local stakeholders, the Solent Forum can help with contacts.
Students who are interested will be asked to fill in the relevant application form below, which will help provide information on their project and the likely costs involved. A group of academics and Solent Forum members will then meet to discuss the proposals and decide which ones should be granted funding.
For those who are successfully granted funding, a condition of the funding will be that the Solent Forum is to receive copy of the finished dissertation. This copy will be made available to Forum members on request at the Solent Forum Office. Bursary recipients will be invited to present their findings at a Solent Forum members meeting but at their own cost.
Proposals must be in by the end of April each year. A decision will be made shortly after that with regards to which projects have been successful and the students will be informed before their summer break.
You can download an application form.
All forms to be submitted to the Solent Forum, c/o Hampshire County Council, Strategic Environmental Delivery Group, EII Court West, Winchester, SO23 8UE or email to email@example.com.